This is a sweet and sour chutney made out of tamarind pulp usually served with chaats, pakodas and other short eats. This chutney has a long shelf life and is handy when you suddenly want a dip to go with a snack.
- 1 cup Tamarind juice
- 1/2 cup jaggery (or more depending on your taste)
- Few saunf or fennel seeds
- Jeera powder
- A Pinch of white and black salt
- A Pinch of red chillie powder
- One teaspoon sugar
- Bring the tamarind juice to a boil.
- Add jaggey, sugar, white and black salt, jeera powder, red chillie powder and boil till the mixture thickens.
- Add saunf seeds and continue to boil for few more minutes.
- Cool and serve with chaats or snacks.
Please NOTE :
In case you are short of time you can use tamarind paste readily available in the market. However, one thing needs to be kept in mind. These pastes are usually very concentrated. Hence, start with mixing 1/2 teaspoon of tamarind paste in one cup of water and increase the quantity of tamarind juice later, if required.