Moong Dal Chaat
The moong dal cooked by the method described below is usually used in filling pani puris. We enjoy this chaat at least once a week for breakfast.
- 2 cups of whole green moong dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chillie
- 1 onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chaat masala
- Few curry leaves
- Soak 1 cup of moong dal overnight.
- Once soaked, microwave it in water for about 20 mins. If you dont have a microwave you can boil the dal in a vessel till its tender.
- Strain water out of the dal and set aside.
- Heat oil, add cumin seeds, slit green chilly, onions and curry leaves.
- Add moong dal to this tempering. Add jeera powder, chaat masala and salt. Saute well.
- Garnish with finely cut onions and coriander leaves.
- Serve moong dal with curds and sweet ‘n sour tamarind chutney.
Please NOTE :
- Care needs to be taken not to soak moong dal for too long as it may sprout.
- Do not try to pressure cook the dal as it gets mashed up and then doesnt taste like chaat anymore.