Ghatte ki sabzi
This is a special dish made by Rajasthanis. The desert land has minimal supply of fresh fruits and vegetables leading to people finding other ways to prepare their curries. Ghatte ki sabzi is one such exotic invention of the Rajasthanis. It is a unique dish in which the dryness of the besan is complemented by the moisture in the yoghurt. This is truly one of my favorites!
- 2 cups of Besan
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon ajwain
- Pinch of hing
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dhania powder
- 2 cups curd
- 1/2 teaspoon rai (Big)
- Dhania leaves (for Garnish)
- Keep 2 tablespoons of Besan aside. Knead remaining Besan into a stiff dough with salt, ghee, jeera, ajwain and some water.
- Grease a tray and spread out the dough on it. Grease the upper surface with ghee and carefully roll it up. Let it rest for a while.
- Place the besan rolls into boiling water for about 5-7 mins.
- Take out the rolls into a sieve and allow them to cool. Cut the roll into round pieces. These pieces are called Ghatte.
- Take curds separately in a bowl. Mix into it 2 tablespoons of besan, dhania powder, haldi powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add Rai, Hing and red chilly powder. To this tempering add the previously prepared Ghatte and fry for a short while.
- Now pour the curds mixture into the ghatte and cook for about 5-7 mins, till the Besan smells done.
- Garnish with dhania leaves and serve hot with rotis.
Please NOTE :
Care needs to be taken while adding salt to the curds mixture as Ghatte already contain salt.