Lauki Channa Dal
Lauki is a bland vegetable that tastes best with channa dal. In most parts of North India this dal is made thick in consistency and eaten with rotis. This can afterwards be eaten with rice as well. So when you dont want to prepare two separate dishes this is the way to go.
- 3/4 cup channa dal
- 1 cup lauki (peeled and cut into cubes)
- Few red chilly flakes broken into half
- Pinch of haldi powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1 teaspoon rai (Big)
- 1 teaspoon jeera
- 1 lemon
- Soak channa dal for an hour.
- Pressure cook lauki cubes with tomatoes and channa dal giving it about 4 whistles.
- Heat oil. Add rai, jeera, haldi, hing, red chillies and onions. Fry well. Now add the dal and fry again.
- Squeeze in the juice of a fresh lime, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or rice.
Instead of using lemon to give the tang in this dal you can try cooking the dal with kokum.