Toor Moong Combo
This dal serves as a welcome change to the usual dal we make at home. The green moong dal combined with the heat of ginger and pepper corns gives toor dal a twist in taste.
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/2 cup moong dal (whole, green one)
- 2 tomatoes
- One onion
- Green chilly (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper corns
- 3-4 cloves
- A small piece of ginger
- Pinch of haldi powder
- Pinch of Hing
- Wash the dals and mix them in a pressure cooker. Add salt, turmeric powder and tomatoes with some water and pressure cook till its done. You will need give it 3-4 whistles approx
- Make a paste of black pepper corns – ginger- cloves in mortar pestle.
- Heat oil. Add jeera seeds, hing, onions, ginger paste, fry well. If you like more fire, add green chillies.
- Fry the dal in this tadka. Give it a boil, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Please NOTE :
- You need to give 3-4 whistles to the dal combination since green Moong dal takes longer than toor dal to cook. In this case, toor may get a bit mashed but its important that moong is done completely. Alternately, you can soak moong for a few hours and then cook the combination with fewer whistles.