Lauki Ka Bharta
This is for all those people who run away at the very thought of eating bottle gourd. Despite its nutritional value we tend to avoid it for its bland taste.
Lauki Ka Bharta is another dish invented by accident. About 6 years ago, I was cooking a meal for myself and my father when my mother was out of town. There was this bottle gourd at home and I simply didn’t know how to cook it. I remember mom telling me that it takes long to get done but I didnt have the patience to wait that long. So lauki ka bharta was created.
Surprisingly, it tasted well. My cook these days, makes it with a twist of his own which does justice to the original recipe.
- 1 medium sized Lauki (Bottle Gourd)
- 1 teaspoon Rai
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- Few Curry leaves
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mirchi powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoon Dhania powder
- Pressure cook lauki. Mash and let it cool.
- In a kadai heat oil. Add rai, chillies, curry leaves, onions and saute well.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and fry till they go brown.
- To this add haldi powder, mirchi powder, dhania powder, salt and the mashed lauki.
- Mix well, beating the lauki with your cooking spoon (poor lauki!)
- Since the lauki is already cooked this dish is ready quickly. After the mixture comes together, turn off the heat, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis.