Rasam rice is something I have noticed babies of this age enjoy quite a bit. However, we can not use the same rasam powder that we make for ourselves as it is too spicy for them.
By making a rasam powder of our own and with a little variation like adding the juice of vegetables, it can become an excellent alternative to the usual dal.
Rasam powder (for Babies)
- 1 Cup Corriander seeds
- 1/2 Cup Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp toor dal
- 1 tsp ghee
- Pinch of hing
1. Fry corriander seeds and cumin seeds separately till they release their aroma.
2. Heat 1 tsp ghee and fry fenugreek seeds, toor dal seperately and add hing.
3. Grind the mixture to fine powder.
For the Rasam
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 carrot
- Small piece of cabbage
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1/4 teaspoon of rai
- 1 teaspoon of baby rasam powder
- Few teaspoons of tamarind juice
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- When you make toor dal for yourself keep aside some dal water that stands on the dal once its cooked.
- Extract juice from tomato, carrot and cabbage.
- Heat oil. Add rai and baby rasam powder. Add the extracted vegetable juice, cooked dal water, tamarind juice and give it a boil.
- Finally garnish with finely chopped dhania leaves.