Mini Fried Idlies
After the age of 8 months babies start eating dosas, idlies, etc; Fried idlies is a good choice at this point as the size is perfect for babies and it takes lesser time to make than idlies. Moreover, adding some vegetables can help make it a nutritious choice for your baby.
For this dish you need to get a stand which resembles a tava with molds in it. This is locally called a Kuzhi Paniyaram stand and can be directly used on flame for making these mini fried idlies.
- 3 tablespoons of dosa batter
- 1/2 teaspoon rai
- 1/4 carrot, grated
- 1/2 tomato, finely chopped
- Few mint leaves, finely chopped
- Mix a pinch of salt in dosa batter
- Grease the molds with ghee. Add rai and let it crackle.
- Fill batter in each mold.
- Garnish with grated carrot, finely cut tomatoes and mint leaves.
- Fry each idly for about 5 mins. Flip over and continue frying the opposite side.
If this dish is being made for adults :
- You can add some more salt, finely chopped onions, green chillies and grated ginger to the dosa batter. Add a tadka of rai, channa dal and curry leaves. Use oil instead of ghee here.
- Please try to use dosa batter thats slightly sour. In other words, you can use up the previous days leftover batter.
- You can use Spring onion leaves instead of mint leaves. Your baby might like this variation too.
Please NOTE :
- Try to use a non-stick mold as otherwise you will need to pour ghee from the sides after filling batter into the molds.
- My stand’s manual told me to use it only on low flame. Please read instructions on your stand before using.