Sweet and Sour Crunch ( Recipe Source : Pavitra Jain)
Last Sunday we neighbors met for a potluck lunch. The flavor of this salad left me wondering what the dressing could have to make it so unique. Its a cousin of the coleslaw yet very different in its taste and appearance.
I am definitely going to make this the next time I have guests over. Hope I can do justice to the original recipe. Here it is…
For the dressing
- 2 teaspoons Mayonnaise
- Pinch of pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Dry herbs powder (mix of oregano, basil, rosemary)
- Few drops of Vinegar
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar (to taste)
- Few drops of fresh lime juice
For the salad
- 1/2 Grated carrot
- 1/4 Capsicum
- Few Lettuce leaves
- 3 Beans
- 1/4 cup Corn
- 1/4 cup Pasta
- 1/4 Apple
- 1/4 Orange
- Grate the carrot and shred the lettuce.
- Finely chop capsicum, beans and apple.
- Squeeze lime juice over apple pieces so they don’t go brown
- Parboil beans and corn. For this you need to boil water add salt, beans, corn and turn off the heat. Cover and let the vegetables simmer in their own steam till they cool off.
- Remove skin and pips of the orange pieces and extract the juicy, inner orange pulp.
- Boil the pasta in salt water till its tender.
- In a mixing bowl add carrot, capsicum, lettuce, parboiled beans, parboiled corn, pasta, apple and orange pieces.
- Mix in the dressing ingredients. Serve chilled.
- If you dont find lettuce you can use cabbage
- Along with beans and corn you can also parboil fresh peas.