Mangoes have started appearing again. Well, at least the raw ones have and I cant stop myself from making the dals and chutneys that I have been missing for so long.
Raw mangoes lend a sourness to the dal which is very unique. Even lime juice, tamarind or kokum can not possibly enhance the flavor of dal like kaccha aam.
- 1 cup toor dal
- 1/2 raw mango
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 green chilly
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon rai
- 1 teaspoon dhania powder
- Pinch of hing
- Pinch of haldi powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chilly powder
- Soak dal for 15 mins. Wash well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and raw mango. Add Haldi powder, salt and water. Pressure cook till dal is completely done.
- Heat oil. Add rai, jeera, hing, green chillies, curry leaves and onions. Stir till onions are done.
- Add a pinch of red chilly powder, dhania powder and mix well.
- Pour a tablespoon of dal into this tempering. Let it sizzle a bit. Now pour this tempered dal into the remaining dal and give it a boil.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with plain rice.
© Roma Sharma 2007-2008