Namoona is a famous peas curry eaten in Lucknow. I had the opportunity of having it last week and I think its one of the tastiest curries one can have with roti.
Green peas are in abundance right now. I bought a few kilos, pealed and froze them. So now anytime I suddenly have guests over this is one vegetable I can surely prepare.
You might need a little extra time and effort as compared to other curries but its worth it when you finally get to eat something so exquisite.
- Musk melon seeds, about 1 tablespoon
- Few cashew nuts or kajus
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 2 fingers of paneer
- 2 teaspoons khoya
- 2 teaspoons malai
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera
- Pinch of Hing
- 1 Onion
- A small piece of Ginger
- 5-6 pods of Garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chillie powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi powder
- 1 teaspoon Dhania powder
- Soak musk melon seeds and kajus. Once soft, grind them with paneer, khoya and malai.
- Boil peas. Save a handful of them and grind the remaining.
- Heat oil. Add jeera and hing. Add Paste of onion, ginger, garlic. Fry well.
- Add tomato puree and continue to fry.
- Add tablespoon of the previously prepared melon paste to the fried masala. Continue to cook till milk smell disappears.
- Add boiled peas puree and mix well. Add previously saved boiled peas into it.
- Heat oil. Add red chillie powder, haldi powder and dhania powder. Add this tempering to the curry.
Please NOTE :