Creme Caramel is a French pudding which is really easy to make. I learnt this recipe from a show on TV , The Chef and his better half. They actually baked their caramel but I am used to steaming puddings so I went ahead that way. It turned out firm, yet soft. The caramel coat complemented the vanilla flavor of the pudding. The smooth texture and simplicity of this dish makes you want to make it again and again.
- 1 cup milk
- vanilla essence
- cinnamon sticks (optional)
- 100 g cream
- 2 eggs
For the Custard :
- Boil milk , you can add cinnamon sticks to the milk and take them out once milk is boiled.
- Turn of the heat and add a few drops of vanilla essence.
- Beat eggs with sugar. Add small quantities of milk and continue beating. This is called tempering the eggs. Basically bringing them to the same temperature as the milk.
- Let the mix cool a bit. Now add some fresh cream and beat the mixture well.
For the caramel :
- Once the egg and milk mixture is ready you need to caramelize the sugar.
- Take sugar in a pan and heat it till the sugar becomes a brown liquid or caramel.
- Pour the caramel into the pudding mould and let it harden.
For the pudding :
- Now pour the milk mix over the caramel.
- Put water in your microwave steamer. Place the stand on it and on that your pudding dish. Micro on High power for 10 – 15 mins. (or Steam in a rice cooker without the whistle for 15 – 20 mins)
- Check with a fork if its done. If it comes out clean then its cooked else micro it for 5 mins more.
- Once the pudding cools overturn it into a vessel of your choice. The caramel will ooze out from all sides. Dont worry, thats the way its meant to be.
Enjoy your Creme caramel!
Please NOTE :
- Eggs need to be tempered as otherwise they will scramble due to the temperature difference.
- Try to use a steamer / cooker which best fits the size of the pudding bowl. This will ensure even steaming.