I was inspired to make the Pizza base at home by so many fellow food bloggers. Finally Sangeeth Raghunathan’s video made me get out there and do it.
I have always wondered why the pizzas we usually make at home look and taste different from the ones available at popular Pizza joints. The answer was clear to me after some research.
Firstly, I used to make Pizza with the ready-made pizza base leading to the base becoming hard and sort of tasteless. The texture of the pizza just wasnt right since the base was already baked and only the toppings needed to be cooked.
Also, using any other cheese besides Mozarella doesnt give the same taste and texture. So these are the two points to watch out for.
This is my entry to the Kitchen Gadget Event hosted by Simple Indian Food. My favorite gadget is the good old Oven.
For the Base
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups maida
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil
- Mix yeast and sugar in 3/4 glass of warm water. Stir till it dissolves.
- Mix maida with salt
- Add yeast mixture to the maida. Stir in a teaspoon of olive oil (optional) and make dough.
- Coat dough with olive oil and keep in bowl. Cover with damp cloth and leave in warm place for one hour.
- I punched it down again to remove the yeast smell and left it for another hour. Punching it a second time releases the excess cardon-di-oxide that was created when the yeast was rising. Releasing it prevents the bread from getting a yeasty flavor.
- I then refrigerated it and used it the next day.
For the Pizza
- 1.5 tablespoons of Pizza sauce
- Topping of your choice (mushrooms, black olives, capsicum, onion, corn, big green chillies)
- 3/4 cup of grated Mozzarella cheese
- Spread the base with the help of your fingers on a tawa (if using a baking tray please grease it before use!)
- Pressure the dough with your fingers to form a base with a thick/thin crust, depending on how you like your pizza.
- Apply Pizza sauce over the base.
- Place toppings of your choice over it.
- Sprinkle grated Pizza cheese over the Pizza.
- Cover tawa and cook for 10 mins on sim flame.
If baking then place in a pre heated oven at 232 deg C, for 15 mins