Hats off to all people who pain stakingly create gorgeous icings on their cakes. I, on the other hand cant wait to dig in! Most of the time I tell myself that the next time I bake a cake I’ll surely do some simple icing over it and every time the same thing happens – baking, photography and cake disappears. Usually, I take snaps under incredible pressure from my baby (who sits at the edge of her seat waiting with her mouth wide open)
Finally I found a way to manage some icing even if there is no time between baking and serving it. A Truffle mix – that can be made well in advance and stored in the refrigerator until required. When your cake is ready, just warm the truffle icing in the microwave or double boiler and spread it on the cake. There! Your icing is done.
The truffle icing has a really long shelf life. Mine lasts for around a month in the fridge. Its just like keeping a chocolate for weeks. You can get creative and use the leftover molten truffle for coating laddus or just making simple butter toffees (although I’m sure these yummy things are rarely leftover 🙂 )
Recipe for the Banana Cake same procedure as Banana walnut cake (although here I didnt add the walnuts to the cake batter, just garnished eventually with roasted almond bits)
For the Truffle ~
- Milk pwd 50 gm
- Sugar 50 gm (add more as per taste)
- Cocoa pwd 20 gm
- Margarine/ butter 75 gm
- liquid Glucose 1 tsp (optional)
- Chocolate essence 1/4 tsp
- Water 1/2 cup
- Boil water and sugar till sugar dissolves
- Sieve cocoa powder and milk powder together.
- Add spoon by spoon to the sugar syrup. Stir continuously.
- When all is mixed add margarine
- When mixture starts leaving sides of pan (setting stage) add liquid glucose and blend well
- Spread on greased tray and let it set for a while.
- Cut out slices of the Banana cake, spread the molten truffle over it.
- Garnish with roasted almond bits and enjoy it…. warm!
You can refrigerate the Truffle Icing for weeks. Warm when required and spread on cakes, buns, doughnuts or any other bakes you like.