How I love these chilly Christmas mornings. We had a great evening yesterday at my sister’s house. Kids played games, danced and got gifts from their dear Santa Claus. My 3 month old was tired after the festivities and slept through the night. I got a well deserved break from the night long baby sitting routine. So instead of being busy Santa just had to keep gifts on the bed side and go to sleep 🙂
The fruit cake I baked uses all things I found running around in the kitchen. I havent picked the recipe from anywhere, its concocted on the run. I am happy with the result. I have been receiving cakes from my neighbors as well. Its like as if there is a dry fruit cake fest going on in our apartment. Well, all of us have our own version and thats what makes it interesting. It would be so boring if we all baked the exact same recipe.
My 3 year old daughter is attending 3 christmas parties this season. One at her school, one with family and one with friends. The party at school required her to go in a fancy dress. I made her into corn. Here is a picture of her – Oh Sweet Corn!
Here is the recipe of the cake I baked. I bake round the year but Christmas Cake always tastes the best (honestly, something in the air!)
Ingredients for Fruit Mix :
- 4 cashew nuts, 4 almonds : roasted and ground into a powder
- 4 cashew nuts, 4 almonds: roasted and fine chopped
- 6 yellow raisins, chopped
- 6 black raisins, de-seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ginger peel chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange peel chopped (inner white skin removed)
- 1 fresh date
for the marinate :
- 1 tablespoon black currant
- 1 tablespoon grape squash
dry ingredients :
- 2 cups white flour (maida)
- 1 ½ baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
other ingredients :
- 2 eggs ( beaten)
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ almond essence
- Soak the ingredients of the fruit mix in the marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Cream the butter with the sugar. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the beaten eggs and fold in (do not beat!). Add the marinated dry fruit mix to this.
- Now add both essences and milk till the mixture reaches dropping consistency.
- Once the mixture blends well and comes together pour into a greased and dusted pan. (you can grease with butter and dust it with white flour)
- Bake in a preheated oven for 180 Deg C for 40 mins.