Here comes the Chinese version of the desi samosa! We saw the recipe on Tata sky cookery videos and my help Sunil managed to make these for us. He quickly converted something I have always wanted to eat into something stunning right on my plate.
Wontons remind me of that movie ‘Zinda’. Omigawd! What a movie. A poor guy was kept captivated for 14 years and was given only wontons to eat everyday. The taste hung onto him so much that after he escaped he ate only wontons at every street in Bangkok to find the place from where his wontons were got. Thats how he managed to finally track the person who did this to him. Why would someone hold anyone hostage for 14 years? I don’t want to say more, please see the movie. I saw it with only one eye open, other was squeezed in fear. I felt like I was inside that box… gasping for freedom. May be we all are in that box in some way. Think about it while you munch on these wontons.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour / maida
- 3 cups of grated mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, capsicum, cabbage, spring onion)
- 3 teaspoons of oil
- 2 teaspoons Tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chilly sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Pinch of salt and black pepper powder
- Oil for frying
For the Dough
- Mix 1.5 teaspoons of oil and salt into maida till it resembles the texture of bread crumbs.
- Add luke warm water and knead the dough to medium stiffness.
- Allow it to rest for at least half an hour.
For the filling :
- Heat 1.5 teaspoons of oil. Fry the grated vegetables till they are half cooked.
- Add black pepper powder and all the sauces to the vegetables and turn off the heat (Do not add salt as the sauces are quite salty by themselves)
For the Wontons :
- Take a ball-sized piece of dough. Roll it out with a rolling pin into a round-shaped roti.
- Fill it with a teaspoon of filling. Apply water on the inner edges of the roti.
- Fold over and press the edges slightly extending outwards.
- Hold the two extreme ends and fold over. Apply water and press again to make a wonton (like that in the picture).
- Deep fry on medium heat till it turns golden brown.