We celebrated our 7th Wedding anniversary yesterday. It being a Saturday we managed to have a long, lazy breakfast. Thankfully the kids slept on and we woke early so we could eat our breakfast blissfully. We chatted over some black forest pastries, Chocolate mousse, paneer rolls, mushroom buns and tea. Dont get me wrong, we dont eat so much everyday! 🙂
After breakfast Mayank headed off to work. He returned by 3 pm, by then I had fallen alseep with the baby. Finally in the evening we thought of making up for the lost time and we really did. We left the kids with mom and went to UB city to dine. As usual, Mayank didnt tell me where we were going. I had taken out a new saree, matching bangles and jewellery to go with it. As soon as I was going to start getting ready he said ‘Get ready soon…aur please saree mat pehen lena” I was like OMIGAWD! What to wear now? Then I took out a Benetton top and a pair of jeans. Since I wasnt going to be carrying the baby everywhere I wore my high heels (finally those poor things got a ride out of the shoe rack!)
As we were walking into UB City I was constantly trying to recall the name of that place which has a big buddha statue. I knew it was in UB City and was kind of sure Mayank was taking me there. Just minutes before we entered the lobby I exclaimed ‘I remember, its called SHIRO!’ The smile on his face was an indicative that I was right. As we entered we found pretty Jap-looking ladies ready to seat us. They gave us our table and said ‘There is another booking for this table at 9.30pm’ Hmmm….thats not so polite I thought Anyway, the ambiance was perfect. There were these carved statues on the walls sort of reminding us of the Ajanta-Ellora caves. Not to mention the big buddha Face, right under which we were seated. There was also a 15-feet tall statue of a lady holding a pot that was pouring out water all evening. Phew! Thats a boring job 🙂
We were greeted by a pleasant person who served us with great enthusiasm all evening. I actually liked the knowledge he had on all he served. We ended up having –
- an orange mint drink – awesome fresh mint twist
- litchi flavored drink – average
- Virgin pinacolada – yummy but could be creamier (thats the max mocktails we have ever ordered!)
- Cream of avocado starter – VERY YUMMY! Shiro happens to be famous for this and understandably so!
- Assorted mushroom curry – I just loooved this! I have always wondered why people dont serve assorted mushrooms anywhere. All mushrooms taste different and the combination is mind blowing
- Hibachi rice cooked in mushroom curry – Nice but enough of mushrooms now
- Chocolate Sushi – this was complimentary for our anniversary.
I loved the stylish font in which the chef had managed to write ‘Happy Anniversary’ on the plate along with presenting us with two chocolate sushis.
I cant begin to describe how delicious the chocolate sushis were. I am sure they used the best Belgium Dark chocolate ever. They were small, round chocolate cylinders filled with three different types of chocolate cream. It tasted somewhat like chocolate whipped with fresh cream. I have not had anything like it before!
After our dinner we took a walk around the place. There were crowded pubs, eateries, live bands and water fountains. God! I havent seen so many short skirts altogether in my entire life.
We returned home around mid-night. It was a great day and one of the most memorable anniversaries ever!
Here is the recipe of the coffee cake I baked for the occasion. Its nice though a bit heavy. I tried using a coffee essence for the first time and I think it made all the difference.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1.5 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coffee powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee essence
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- Pinch of salt
- Shift the dry ingredients. Beat the butter and the eggs separately.
- Slowly add the dry mix and the beaten eggs alternately to the butter and beat well.
- Add salt, coffee essence and mix.
- Bake at 180 Deg C for 30-40 mins.
- Prick the center of the cake and check that it comes out clean.