Apple sauce or Applesauce is a puree made of apples. It contains pectin which tends to make stools firm. Hence it’s effective in reducing loose motions. Apple once chopped starts turning brown in contact with air. To delay browning you can soak the pieces in some water (actually, lime water is more effective but we don’t want to make the apples sour for the baby).
- 1/4 of an apple
- 3/4 cup water
- Peel and chop apple into chunks.
- Bring water to boil. Add apple pieces such that the water is just enough to cover the apples.
- Now cover and cook on sim heat till apples are tender.
- Drain out the water and mash the apple pieces into a sauce.
- Do not over cook the apples as they could lose their flavor.
- You can make the same sauce with skinned and de-seeded peaches.
- Do not give applesauce to a baby suffering from constipation.
Nutritional Information :
- Apple is a good source of dietary fiber, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
To find more baby food recipes from my book visit the Gallery here.