Carrot Halwa (Gajar Ka Halwa)
In the season when sweet red carrots are available this dessert is a natural choice. Though you can make it with orange carrots too the taste isn’t quite like the one you get with the red ones.
- 2 cups grated red carrot
- 1/2 cup sugar (as per your taste)
- 1/2 cup khoya
- 1/2 cup ghee
- Pinch of elaichi powder
- Dry fruits (almonds, cashew nuts, raisins)
- Steam carrot till its soft.
- Heat ghee. Fry dry fruits and take them out.
- To the remaining ghee add grated carrot and fry till water dries up.
- Add roasted khoya and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Finally add sugar, fried dry fruits and elaichi powder.
- Continue to cook till the halwa comes together.
If you dont have Khoya you can use milk cream instead. You can freeze the cream that settles on top of the milk for a month or so and make this dessert. Only difference is that it will take a little longer to make than khoya and will be heavier too.