Moms are true role models for us in every way. We always want to be like them, whether in managing the house, bring up children or making food. In my childhood days I had the good fortune of having many delicacies like cakes, ice creams and pies freshly prepared at home.
Mom had done a course in cooking. She even used to run Bakery/Cookery classes at home. As kids we never paid attention to that fact that we may need to pick up her culinary skills. Whenever she asked us to join her for a class we would ask her to call us when the dishes were done. Ohh! Wish I hadnt been so playful back then. I would have learnt a thing or two from the person who is an absolute genius when it comes to cooking.
Even today I cant make cakes or ice creams like her but I am surely going to give it a try. I dedicate this months JFI- Love to my mother, the best cook I know.
Jihva for ingredients is an online monthly culinary event started by Indira of Mahanandi. JFI-Love for the month of May, 2008 is being hosted by Pratibha and Jigyasa.
* 3 cups of milk
* 8 teaspoons sugar
* 4 tablespoons of powder milk
* 1 teaspoon cornflour
* 1 teaspoon Liquid glucous
* Chemicals : GMS , CMC (1/4 teaspoon each)
* 100 grams fresh cream
* 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
* Few drops of Chocolate essence
1. Boil the milk. Separately make a paste of sugar, cornflour and milk powder with a small quantity of milk.
2. Continuously stir the milk while putting the paste in.
3. Mix the 2 chemicals CMC and GMS with little milk in a cup. Pour this into the boiling milk mixture.
4. Add one teaspoon of liquid glucous to the boiling milk mix.
5. Cool this mix and pour into an ice cream box. Increase temperature of freezer. Freeze the mix.
6. Once it becomes hard. Take it out and leave it outside for few minutes so that it can come out easily.
7. Break it and churn a bit. Blend into a paste in a mixie jar.
8. Add cold fresh cream and essence into the paste and churn well. (Should not be watery, only pasty!)
9. Put it back in the ice cream box and reduce the freezer temp to normal.
10. After 1-2 hrs check if ice cream has crystals. If so, churn it again and increase the temperature of the freezer.
11. While serving garnish Ice cream with whipped cream, chocolate wafers and grated chocolate.
Please NOTE :
You need to mix liquid glucous well in the hot milk otherwise it will form lumps. If you want you can mix it first in a small amount of hot milk and then mix that into the boiling milk.
The same procedure can be followed to make all other flavors of icecream as well. You can make it with banana/mango/ any fruit of your choice. Just reduce the amount of sugar depending on the sweetness of the fruit used.